Masane Amaha (天羽 雅音 Amaha Masane), real name Yasuka Ōhara (大原 寧夏 Ōhara Yasuka), was chosen by the Witchblade during the Great Quake that sunk a part of Tokyo. Introduced as a woman on the fringes of society, she and Rihoko Amaha (Masane's adoptive daughter) were kicked out of a domestic shelter. Soon afterwards, they were being chased by the NswF's Child Welfare agency. They fled to the recovering Tokyo, where, soon after arriving, they were found and brought in for questioning and negotiations. After some debate, she relinquishes custody of Rihoko to the NswF, but soon afterwards, she has a change of heart and tries to take Rihoko back.
Before the Great Quake, Masane once lived in a shelter where she was known as Yasuka Ōhara (大原 寧夏 Ōhara Yasuka).
After the Great Quake, which killed thousands of Japanese, she was found with the Witchblade around her wrist (actually inside her wrist) and complete amnesia, not knowing who she was or what had transpired. She was recovered at Ground Zero, the epicenter of the Great Quake. As she tries to get Rihoko Amaha back, she ends up in an car accident, arrested and sent to South Asagaia Detention Center where she later encounters her first Ex-Con which is attracted to her. As the rogue Ex-Con prepares himself to kill Masane, the Witchblade activates and begins to transform Masane and encases her with a black armor.
Masane is a very determined woman when she sets her mind to things, although, at times, she can be laid back and a little negligent over what she does.
Powers & Abilities
- Witchblade: When the Witchblade is activated, it enhances and augments Masane's fighting ability that it gives her a retractable blade on her right arm, and gives her four, whip-like attachments, which can extend to great lengths, from her hair. When Masane is transformed to the Witchblade's full potential, other than that of a simple bracelet, Masane loses most, if not all, her control over her body and is filled with a strong, natural desire to fight and destroy. Thus, the Witchblade makes her an ultimate weapon of destruction.
- The name Masane means "elegant, graceful" (雅) (masa) and "sound" (音) (ne).
- Masane's surname Amaha means "heaven/heavenly, sky, imperial" (天) (ama) and "feather" (羽) (ha).
- The name Yasuka means "ning" (寧) (yasu) and "summer" (夏) (ka).
- Yasuka's surname Ōhara means "big, great" (大) (o) and "field, plain" (原) (hara).
- Masane has two nicknames that both relate to her large breasts:
- Masamune in the original language
- Melony in the English language